Wednesday, September 5, 2012

September morn....

Today it feels like Fall is in the air. It rained last night and there is a coolness lurking this morning with more rain just starting to fall again. The dogs are loving it! Those hot muggy days were just too much for them and they did a lot of "swimming" in the kiddie pool to cool off. The Shetlands are enjoying the respite, too! They have stopped just hanging out at the water cooler and seem to actually enjoy a walk through the pasture to check things out....any new sprigs of grass? The pasture is about down to nothing and we have started feeding out some beautiful second cut hay.....not turning up their noses, I'll tell you THAT! A local farmer also gives us their "corn squeezings"....better known as husks. The sheep LOVE it! The pumpkins will soon follow.....usually a nice truck load to spoil them all before the breeding season kicks off. Ahhh, the breeding season. A year or so back I dubbed breeding season the "Shetland Shuffle"....you know, the period of who's breeding whom and how many times we change our minds about it? Well this year I pretty much am all set.....with a gorgeous new ram purchased from Pike Hill Farm. Acer is a moorit with an outstanding fleece and gorgeous conformation and horns....I can't wait to see what he will produce for lambs next Spring! For now, I will enjoy the coolness of the morning, put on a light sweater and have another cup of tea. Have a wonderful day, friends.

2 comments:

  1. Love your positive report! Lucky you; I have three nice rams and probably won't be using ANY of them because I haven't sold enough of last year's and this year's lambs. Can't keep producing without selling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving this cool weather too Donna. Fall is really my favorite time of year. Hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Ken and I live on a small farm in Center Sandwich, New Hampshire in an area surrounded by lakes and mountains. We have 30 Shetland sheep , 2 llamas...Sam and Tim, 3 dogs, 40+ chickens and an assortment of ducks, geese and guinea hens. Life is sometimes hectic, but always good at Kindred Spirit Farm!

Followers